So last month we had a goodie day at work, I wanted to bring something, at first I was going to bring some traditional Calabrese Christmas goodies, scalette however my family devoured them and the night before I was forced to make something else. I really wanted to share the recipe here, I thought someone else would enjoy it, so here is a recipe for Nutella Pockets! NOTE: This recipe makes about 40 cookies, you may get more or less depending on the size you make them.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened plus 2 more tablespoons, melted.
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus 1\4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Nutella (1 1/2 cups or less, this depends on the size you make them).
- OPTIONAL: 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened. You could also try mascarpone.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the 1 cup of butter, (the optional cream cheese), and 1 cup sugar until smooth, light, and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide the dough into two portions; cover and refrigerate until the dough is firm and easy to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove one portion of dough from the refrigerator.
- On a floured surface, roll out one portion of dough until it is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Using a circle cookie cutter (or the top of a glass depending on what you have at your disposal) that is approximately 3 inches in diameter, cut circles out of the dough and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Repeat this with the rest of the dough.
- Place approximately 1 teaspoon of Nutella on the center of each circle.
- Fold each circle in half so that the edges meet and lightly press the edges to seal.
- With a fork, seal the edges. Lightly brush the melted butter on the tops and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the cookies for 10 – 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Leave the cookies on the cookie sheet for 2 – 3 minutes before removing them to wire racks to cool.